Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 02 - Endings


“Don’t the great tales never end?”
“No, they never end as tales,” said Frodo. “But the people in them come, and go when their part’s ended. Our part will end later – or sooner.”
- The Two Towers, J.R.R. Tolkien

I was only nine years old when my father read The Two Towers to me, but even then I remember being touched by Frodo and Sam’s oddly meta conversation about stories – “the great tales” – and whether they ever end. It was a strange conversation to appear in Tolkien; tweak the language a bit and you can imagine it appearing on the Internet today.

To idealistic Tolkien, stories are just another form of truth. It makes me wonder if we can consider our own circumstances to be a story, and how our lives would change if we saw them that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment